[udig-devel] namespace policy

This is an interesting discussion; from my standpoint I am trying to follow java naming conventions and using the package structure to indicate where the source code can be found etc..  There are also similar guidelines for the naming of plugins.

I also note we already have an outlier in the form of some book mark code that needs to be folded into the existing project.ui plugin (hopefully as part of a Navigation view?)

I would think that recognising organisations as part of the running application (and online help) is of more interest? Indeed this is where I want to recognise contributing organisations - where users can see the contribution.

The other reason I am sensitive to namespace is that I want the code base to be approachable to new developers and the current setup with *way* too many plugins is not working as the project looks much much bigger then it actually is; most "catalog" plugins only have three classes for example.

Still I am sure we can arrange for package names to indicate something; while still respecting eclipse/java naming guidelines?

An easy solution would be: *net.refractions.catalog.grass" for the plugin with contents of:
- net.refractions.catalog.grass.Activator
- net.refractions.catalog.grass.internal.hydrologis.GrassServiceExtension // for the implementation

(This approach also works if we start combining catalog plugins in uDig 1.3.x (which I strongly recommend).

Before proceeding we should review the existing naming guidelines:

I also note that we have not had significant contributions of external code; in part because the plugin mechanism is so excellent; and in part because of the time required to perform a code review etc involves a time commitment on both parties.

Jody

As for namespace; I am all in favour of company branding - but I would prefer it in the correct spot.

So namespace: -1
Reason:  I would like to keep net.refractions.udig.catalog just so the code is grouped in a useful manner.

What would I like to do for company branding?
- for your plugin list hydrologis as the provider
- Add the branding element for the hydrologis provider so the logo and link shows up in the udig about box
- it will also be associated in the about box with the plugins you contributed.

Does that sound okay?  I have not added LISAsoft as a provider yet as I have not made any new plugins while working for the company yet.

I do not agree here. Namespaces should be bound to the company. I
agree on the fact that it is handy to have code grouped, but it
doesn't seem to be a big issue to me (we can decide on naming
conventions).
It is well possible that companies that do things for uDig in paid
projects are forced to use a different namespace. What would you do
with those? My feeling is that different namespaces can't be avoided
at some point.

in fact this is the case also for Andrea himself: he did not realized when proposing his policy,  but, since part of the work he is committing, was financed by my Institution, it is required that the code origin is distinguishable, and I can refer to it precisely in my documents. So, I asked to my administration and they agreed with the solution, proposed by Andrea (different namespace).  At the same time I would also need that my company branding (CUDAM - University of Trento) appear somewhere.

riccardo rigon

Even if I think that this is a discussion that should be taken into
IRC, I would like to hear comments from the others here.
Please let's not block development and additions to uDig just because of this.

Thanks,
Andrea

Jody

What i would like to do is you is: