Re: [udig-devel] Grass service and netcdf service

Hi Jody, PSC,

> So what we need is one of those proposals that everyone helped out on the template for (if it is some kind of strategic change); in this case are just adding in new catalog plugins? If so +1.

No strategic change, but you are right that the proposal might be good
to be documented. So here it goes:
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/HACK/Moving+Grass+and+netcdf+services+from+JGrass+to+uDig

> As for namespace; I am all in favour of company branding - but I would prefer it in the correct spot.
>
> So namespace: -1
> Reason:  I would like to keep net.refractions.udig.catalog just so the code is grouped in a useful manner.
>
> What would I like to do for company branding?
> - for your plugin list hydrologis as the provider
> - Add the branding element for the hydrologis provider so the logo and link shows up in the udig about box
> - it will also be associated in the about box with the plugins you contributed.
>
> Does that sound okay?  I have not added LISAsoft as a provider yet as I have not made any new plugins while working for the company yet.

I do not agree here. Namespaces should be bound to the company. I
agree on the fact that it is handy to have code grouped, but it
doesn't seem to be a big issue to me (we can decide on naming
conventions).
It is well possible that companies that do things for uDig in paid
projects are forced to use a different namespace. What would you do
with those? My feeling is that different namespaces can't be avoided
at some point.

Even if I think that this is a discussion that should be taken into
IRC, I would like to hear comments from the others here.
Please let's not block development and additions to uDig just because of this.

Thanks,
Andrea