Re: [udig-devel] Open Street Map in uDig

Okay I have looked at Yahoo's map developer site and I think that it
is something I can add to this.

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 2:23 AM, Eric Jarvies <ej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> but doing it personally, for you own edification, is no problem... the
> licensing problems only comes in to play if you start distributing an
> application with that feature enabled, meaning end user get's google tiles
> without having to use api.

>From what I can tell this is where we get into a very weird and gray
legal area.  For example it's legal for me to tell someone else what
protocol Google use to get maps from their server, or how to figure
out the protocol Google uses for their servers.  But what if i "tell"
you by sending you a java application.  Many people say that doing so
could be illegal.  So lets say I have a program that uses contains a
web browser and packet sniffer (the tools I used to reverse engineer
Google maps) and knows how to use them to reverse engineer Google
maps.  (This would be a difficult program to write I grant but still
quite doable)  So the program would query Google and build an
application similar to the first one that was not legal, yet to the
end user both programs would be practically the same.

> are you creating a plugin?  i have often wanted/needed this feature for my
> own personal use, so i am certainly interested in it, so if you are
> accepting donations, count me in.  would be nice to simply have a google,
> yahoo, and openstreetmaps buttons that would activate those layers, placing
> them bottom-side of the layer stack.

Yes I am creating a plugin.  It is based off another open source
project that pulls google maps and caches them.  I have also expanded
beyond earth.  I now have map graphics that pull the moon and mars
maps from google.

> eric
>

> On Dec 23, 2008, at 11:36 PM, Harry Bullen wrote:
>
>> First I can currently display Google maps using the same method I use
>> for open street view.  And adding Yahoo would be an 10 min
>> modification.   Secondly both of these work by pulling the tiles
>> directly off Google's server.  That is the problem you are not allowed
>> to do that unless you are a web app using the google api and udig
>> doesn't.  Or at least that is my interrpration of the TOS.
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Eric Jarvies <ej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> With Yahoo, Google, et, al, each individual person/company must have a
>>> license/key issued by Yahoo, Google, et, al.  Thus, in order to comply
>>> with
>>> their respective license terms/API, one should simply make a
>>> 'Google/Yahoo/etc' feature in uDig so that it is ready to be used, but
>>> only
>>> after the individual user has entered their personal/company key/license.
>>>
>>> This would then make the option available to anyone who wishes to use it,
>>> whilst not causing uDig to violate Yahoo, Google, et, al, licensing terms
>>> and conditions.
>>>
>>> Myself, along with others, have discussed implementing Google maps into
>>> uDig, but the argument of licensing always is brought up, some citing it
>>> would be in violation.  However, I have often thought that if the
>>> functionality was built into uDig, allowing users to connect to
>>> Google(et,
>>> al) maps, but ONLY if they enter a valid license key, that uDig would not
>>> be
>>> in violation of Google's(et, al) licensing terms and conditions.   Each
>>> individual person/company who wishes to obtain a license key from Google
>>> in
>>> order to use the feature, would of course need to obtain said license key
>>> from Google(et, al) themselves to activate the feature.
>>>
>>> Many of us have Google license keys(both for localhost/127.0.0.1, and for
>>> our actual domain names), which we use for our website mash-ups.  In much
>>> the same way, I would suggest this same functionality be built into uDig,
>>> so
>>> that a user can enter their localhost/127.0.0.1 license key, thus having
>>> the
>>> ability to include Google maps(et, al) into their layer mix on their
>>> local
>>> computer.   In much the same was as uDig currently handles the 'Help'
>>> pages(localhost), it would do the same for Google(et, al) maps.  But this