[udig-devel] Re: Maps and LayerViews across multiple WorkbenchWindows

Good Afternoon (in Germany it's 5 pm by now :-))!

> Question; what is the extent of interaction between the screens? (ie
> what does "using layers partly distinct" mean to you) Are they all going
> to zoom & pan together or something?

> If you can answer that one question; I am pretty sure you want your
> "Maps" to track the same spot on the world but I would like to be clear.

I think I'm good in explaining things in a way that makes them sound much more
difficult than they are :-). Actually, I don't want the maps to track the same
area! We don't need any interaction between them such as joint panning or
zooming by now. With "using layers partly distinct" I simply tried to say that
there are some geoResources which will be used by all maps (e.g. administrative
boundaries) and some which will be used exclusively by any of the maps. E.g.:
Map 1 contains the "administrative boundaries" layer and the "sensor
observations" layer. Map 2 also contains the "administrative boundaries" layer
(but doesn't necessarily show the same area) and a "rivers" layer.

> Note an easy: an easy way to do what you want would be to have multiple
> workbench windows; and a single application

So maybe I do not see the wood for the trees. I just want to have multiple maps
(being independent from each other) opened programmatically in multiple windows
in a single application. In addition, each window shall have an independent
LayersView. How is this manageable with the current uDig framework?

> I am not that close to the details right now; we should set it up so you
> can do the normal eclipse thing of "Open" (with the default editor. or
> the one used last time) or "Open With..." and have a list of available
> for that content type.
> (Once again we don't add any functionality hooks into udig until there
> is a request for it on the devel list; we are not against adding new
> functionality - but we always want a real world request for fear of
> building more software than is useful / used).

This is what I wondered - if there is already a solution for my use case (on
the basis of your comments I assume there is one).
I'm also not sure, if we'd need an "Open with..." functionality. Rather
an "Open in window..." functionality.

> Interesting; you could also keep editors in sync by:
> - arrange for them to have the same Viewport Model
> - set up a "sync viewport" idea so that all open editors track the same
> navigation commands (not sure if you just want them to look at the same
> location & scale; or if you want them to track the same coordinate
> reference system?)

However, this sounds interesting for the case that I would like to have the
maps in sync in the future. I think it would also be possible to use
ViewportListeners by the editors. The "sync viewport" solution would also be
good since we use WGS 84 throughout the application.

Once again, thanks for your support!

Moni

Back to the top