[udig-devel] loading browser-based map sites in udig as base/background layer?

hello,

what would it take to be able to load sites like yahoo maps, et, al, into udig and being able to use them as backgrounds? i am having to put together points/locations(POIs) that cover a fair amount of geo- space, and i am always having to open my browser(openmaps/yahoo maps/ google maps/etc) to take a look at the sat images for visual reference. it would be wonderful if i could simply load the browser- based map sites into udig, easily set the x, y, and zoom level, have my vector shapefiles auto-adapt the same projection view/etc. as the base/background browser-based map, and essentially be able to move around my vector shapefiles, whilst also having the browser-based maps in the background move along/generate new views/tiles as-well.

the other option is loading 256x256 image tiles, but this would then require a fair amount of conversion work i assume.

if anyone has some good advice, i would appreciate it.

thank you,

eric

Back to the top