Re: [udig-devel] Adding modes to edit tools

Idea One - stick with the current program

Gabriel that is similar to how things are supposed to work; each tool falls into a a category, and each tool has a different icon. If you made a category for "line" and assigned it to the keyboard short cut "l" you would be able to toggle between all the available line tools.

I wanted to see if this approach would work out? what do you think?

Idea Two - sensible defaults (ie context sensitive) combined with keyboard modifers

The other thing to do is look at how InkScape and Viso handle keyboard modifiers and see if we can come up with something consistent, and then start to make your tools stupidly context sensitive. 1. Shift is used to constrain *any* tool to horizontal motion or vertical motion 2. Alt click is used to indicate "context" - start by "alt clicking" a reference layer in the layer view - to make it "friendly" the default the reference layer is the current layer etc...) 3. Alt click to select a "reference" line segment on the reference layer (you can tell you need a line segment because you are using the line tool) 4. Now when shift is pressed *any* tool is constrained with respect to the reference line

If you wanted you could use a map graphic grid as reference layer to a visible way to get horz / vertical constraints...

Sigh - it will be nice to work on uDig again :-)
Jody

Gabriel Roldán wrote:
Hi all,

I've being talking with Jesse about a problem I need to face and would love
any more feedback. Bellow is the chat log,
but lets first resume the problem.

As part of our current editting tools and spatial operations project, I need a
way to create line segments parallel to a
segment from another feature, whether it is a line or polygon feature, from
the same layer or not.
One option is to create a new tool, but it has many disadvantages:
 - having a different tool for each extra behaviour adds too much clutter
 - it does not allow to create a parallel segment when needed and keep adding
vertexes freely for the same geometry

A possible approach would be for edit toold to have "modes" of operation, where they set up the default behaviours, but plugins may contribute/replace them. Think of it as an extra toolbar enabled when the create line/polygon tool is selected, allowing to temporally select a mode for a tool, like ortho lines, snap mode, parallel, arc, etc. They get enabled and disabled on user's demand.

Back to the top