Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 09:22:45 -0500
From: "Gary Lucas" <gwlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [udig-devel] Can uDig plot PostGIS data from an SQL view?
To: udig-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am trying to use uDig 1.1.RC4 to view a subset of records from a Postgres
table. The table contains 50 or 60 thousand records, I'm try to view a few
hundred. I am interested in doing this on a read-only basis, using uDig as a
data-inspection tool, so editing doesn't come into play. I didn't see any
way to accomplish this through the style specifications (putting aside
overhead issues, the query I use to develop the subset depends on the SQL
LIKE operation).  Anyway, I had the idea of creating an
SQL View and reading the data from the view rather than from the actual
table.

The uDIG GUI recognizes the SQL view and allows me to add it to a map.
Unfortunately, uDig does not appear to pull back any data.  Nothing plots
and
I get a zero feature count.

Did I miss a procedure?  Do I have to do something extra in PostGIS to
enable it to identify the geometry attribute in the SQL view?

---
Gary W. Lucas, Senior Software Engineer
Sonalysts, Inc
215 Parkway North