Re: [udig-devel] Can uDig plot PostGIS data from an SQL view?

To enable spatial operations on a view, you have to add a record to the geometry_columns table in PostGIS describing the view. However, last time I tried (with a previous version of uDig) uDig was not able to show the view even if this was properly done. I do not know why.

piebe

Gary Lucas wrote:
I am trying to use uDig 1.1.RC4 to view a subset of records from a Postgres table. The table contains 50 or 60 thousand records, I'm try to view a few hundred. I am interested in doing this on a read-only basis, using uDig as a data-inspection tool, so editing doesn't come into play. I didn't see any way to accomplish this through the style specifications (putting aside overhead issues, the query I use to develop the subset depends on the SQL LIKE operation).  Anyway, I had the idea of creating an
SQL View and reading the data from the view rather than from the actual table.

The uDIG GUI recognizes the SQL view and allows me to add it to a map.
Unfortunately, uDig does not appear to pull back any data.  Nothing plots and
I get a zero feature count.

Did I miss a procedure?  Do I have to do something extra in PostGIS to
enable it to identify the geometry attribute in the SQL view?

---
Gary W. Lucas, Senior Software Engineer
Sonalysts, Inc
215 Parkway North