Re: [udig-devel] Feature highlighting by applying a filter to layer

I think an SLD is best as well.  You can do most of what you suggested with a creative SLD.  Including what Mark wanted.  By using multiple rules it is possible to have a different rule apply to each layer...  If that is what you want.  Having a single SLD on the Map's Blackboard means there is a single place  to look for it which I like.

Jesse

Ian Turton wrote:

On 2/17/06, Jody Garnett <jgarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ian Turton wrote:

> On 2/17/06, *Jody Garnett* <jgarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:jgarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >> wrote:
>
>     Mark's point is a good one - a blob in the middle of a PointSymbolizer
>     mark (aka icon) does not do anyone any good.
>
>     So I am going to propose something different, not using SLD.
>
>     Hear me out, we should draw the image using the existing SLD style as
>     defined for that layer. And then take the entire resulting image and
>     "jitter" it.
>

> I'd rather allow the user to specify thier own selection style using
> SLD. I might want a completly different icon when a point is selected
> rather than just a blurred (jittered) one. I would also like to be
> able to specify a selection style per layer as different things should
> look different when I select them.
Fair enough, I was hoping that the existing style would be drawn on top,
so the effect would be of an outline around the existing SLD mark, or
linework et c.

I think selection and highlighting styles must always be drawn on top of or instead of the normal style. Other wise you run the risk of users not noticing them.

Ian

--

Ian Turton
http://www.geotools.org