Re: [udig-devel] LGPL and commercial plugins

euan crawford wrote:
Can I build a commercial (non-LGPL) plugin for uDig? The plugin would interact with the compiled uDig libraries but not involve any changes to the core uDig code.
Of course! That is (one of) the big ideas of choosing the LGPL license. To help set people up we do offer use of our version control and several projects are making use of it. There are also several closed source projects "powered by" uDig both at refractions and around the world.

If you do want to make use of a GPL library, you can also make a GPL plugin with out effect the uDig application.
I know that lawyers could steer this either way so I'd appreciate any comments/advice.
One good resource is the JBoss write up of why they chose LGPL for their work.
- http://www.jboss.org/company/licensing

In short LGPL is considered business friendly (and uDig is friendly after all) which is one reason we can host our bug tracking on codehaus with their strict policies on such matter.

All the best, and if there is any way we can be of assistence let us know.
Jody

yours
Euan Crawford

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.