[udig-devel] LGPL and commercial plugins

Can I build a commercial (non-LGPL) plugin for uDig? The plugin would interact with the compiled uDig libraries but not involve any changes to the core uDig code.

I looked at the LGPL homepage http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html and have included a couple of snippets that imply a plugin could be LGPL exempt. The latter may be particularly relevant.

"A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it, is called a "work that uses the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and therefore falls outside the scope of this License."

"there may be a special need to encourage the widest possible use of a certain library, so that it becomes a de-facto standard. To achieve this, non-free programs must be allowed to use the library"

I know that lawyers could steer this either way so I'd appreciate any comments/advice.

yours
Euan Crawford

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.

Back to the top