Re: [udig-devel] uDig and Mac OS X

Matt Revelle wrote:

Just FYI for any other OS X users out there, added this as a comment on the uDig install guide: For Mac OS X, you will just want to start up uDig, after installing it, by running Eclipse.app in the RCP directory.

I agree that the included udig.bat and udig.sh scripts wont work. :-)

As you tell we are having difficulty getting JAI known to the udig application.

In addition we are waiting on one of the following:
- JRE 5.0 for Mac (Linux is opperating with a similar requirement right now)
- http://www.holongate.org/holongate-2.0/index.html based rendering statck

Option number two is slow, but does provide a way forward for including JAI as an eclipse plugin.
Running from Terminal with the uDig.sh will start up uDig but I can't find a way to switch focus to the application. Also, might need to figure out how to reference JAI and ImageIO in OS X (maybe it's done automatically?), I know I have the packages installed, and I know they work because I use them in my own Java apps…

Unfortantly the Eclipse segregation of plugins into separate classloaders is *very* complete; down to isolating plugins from the contents of JRE/lib/ext (where JAI lives). A separate command line override is required ( -Xbootclasspath).

More information can be found here: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/UDIG/Eclipse+Configuration - but it sounds like you have read that.

Here is what I'm using in uDig.sh for Mac OS 10.3.5:
#!/bin/bash
JRE=$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext

JAI_CP=$JRE/clibwrapper_jiio.jar:$JRE/jai_codec.jar:$JRE/jai_core.jar:$JRE/jai_imageio.jar:$JRE/mlibwrapper_jai.jar

java -Xbootclasspath/a:$JAI_CP -Dosgi.splashLocation=splash/splash.bmp -classpath startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application net.refractions.udig.ui.uDig -os macosx -ws carbon -arch ppc -nl en_US

Thanks for your help in testing on the Mac. We are going to be looking into the holongate solution above (for both JAI inclusion, and mac rendering).
Jody

Back to the top