Re: [tycho-dev] re, Deferring Dependency Resolution

Could you try to produce such a case with the prototype [1]? The BuildOrderManager injects some dependencies in afterProjectsRead, but these dependencies are not complete. Others are added later, e.g. for nested jars or if there are transitive dependencies due to a re-exported package.

[1] https://github.com/oberlies/tycho/tree/bug353889_defer_resolution

> >> In any case, whether dependency resolution happens in a mojo or in
> >> maven core is not terribly important. As long as resolver is a
> >> standalone component, we can hook it in maven core or call it from
> >> mojos directly.
> >
> > It may not be for Tycho, but it is a major difference for anyone who
> > wants to extend Tycho: Today you have to write a new build extension
> > and hook into Tycho via Plexus. Afterward the refactoring, it can be
> > as easy as filtering one of the metadata files on disk.
> >

> Can you elaborate on this? Tycho has to have code that implements
> dependency resolution logic and this logic needs to be plugged in Maven
> build lifecycle this way or another. Do I miss something here?

Yes, but currently it is very hard to do anything before this happens. If dependency resolution happens in the Mojo lifecycle, other plugins could manipulate the metadata files before this happens. I don't have this fully elaborated though.

> >> This feels like too big a change to be done as one huge
> >> refactoring. Is there a way to split the work in smaller pieces or
> >> it really has to be all-or-nothing?
> >
> > This won't be a one-off thing. I'm keeping only the new stuff in a
> > branch, and pull out the refactorings (i.e. those things that really
> > just change the code structure) into master (e.g. 4dda65a, f1b27c08).
> > Having the afterProjectsRead activities structured in such a way that
> > they *could* be called from mojos, would probably already improve the
> > readability of the Tycho code, and this will be the first thing done
> > in master.
> >

> Dependency resolver can be used from mojos already. This is how test
> runtime contents is calculated, for example. Or did I misunderstand you?

Yes, but you don't actually just call dependency resolution, but also the target platform is re-calculated.

Best Regards
Tobias

Back to the top