Re: [tools-pmc] Object Teams proposal

+1

To conclude concerns I raised else where in this thread, I did get a brief
note from Andy Clement (Project Lead of AspectJ) and while he's too busy
to give an in depth review right now, he didn't see any fundamental
disconnects with the proposal or proposed project structure. They are
separate enough to be separate projects, even if there are eventually
areas of collaboration. I'll look forward to learning more about both
these technologies in the future.

As for the proposal, I think it is very well written and very well
organized.

Here are some recommendations that I think would improve the proposal.
Feel free to take or leave what you'd like. None of them are critical or
"required".

I recommend a short paragraph be added to state explicitly one of the
goals of moving a relatively mature project is to grow the community and
some very brief mention of how that would be accomplished. (After all, if
I was curious, I think others would be too).

I recommend the section on "Relationship with other Eclipse Projects" be
modified slightly so it doesn't sound (slightly) competitive. For example,
you mention some cons of AspectJ (e.g "fragility") and pros of Object Team
("richer") but the proposal is not the place to make those (slight)
comparisons and would be better to simply say "... historically some may
consider them competitive, but we consider them complimentary ...", or
similar.

Minor comment ... you might want to de-emphasize JACKS in sentence on Unit
tests. On my first reading, I thought that was the significant part of
that sentence, but in subsequent discussion, sounds like it is not.
Perhaps you could mention how many unit tests you have, or percent of
coverage, if known? But the fact that you mention your unit tests at all
is great, and more than many project proposals!

In your tentative plan section, you mention "releasing with Helios". You
might also mention when you plan to graduate incubation ... simultaneous
with release? Or earlier? I'd assume "with release" is what would be
appropriate, and time enough to mature and graduate. I'm just recommending
it be explicit.

I hope you find at least some of these comments helpful to you.

Thank you for submitting the proposal to Eclipse and the Tools Project.
Sounds very interesting and I'm sure will be a great addition to Eclipse.

Best of luck.