Re: [tools-pmc] Object Teams proposal

This appears to be an interesting project, but I have some questions.

This appears to be a moderately mature code base that is already open
sourced. I'd like to see a short paragraph describing the motivation for
moving to Eclipse. I can imagine several, and just think it should be
spelled
out. (Sorry if its there and I missed it.)

Who are the expected adopters of this technology and project? Or, perhaps
better way of asking my question, what "value add" would an adopter
provide?
What APIs are there for them to build on? It appears more as something to
"just use", without API. I was wondering if my quick read was correct or
if
there's API that I'm just not reading about. Perhaps related, is this
more a "runtime" technology, rather then tool?

You say, "All software of the Object Teams software has been developed
using
the following infrastructure: ... A specific test suite for compiler and
runtime based on the JACKS framework". From a quick glance, JACKS appears
be GPL, and its web page states that even the test cases that use it are
GPL.
I believe GPL is incompatible with EPL, so that can't come over to
Eclipse.
(Right?)

Minor question, simply out of curiosity, what's the difference between
"...
load-time byte-code weaving ... [and] ... run-time weaving"?

A good job is done explaining how this technology is related to AspectJ
and
Equinox Aspects. Since it is closely related to these technologies
(especially Equinox Aspects) it might be better to have under the same PMC
as
one of those. The idea being, that the common PMC could better encourage
collaboration among the "competing" sub-projects. In general, I think its
fine to have projects doing similar things, as long as they do not divide
the
community. At least deserves some thought and discussion from other PMC
members.

I may think of other questions when I read it a second time, but those
questions
came to mind on first read.

Thanks in advance for educating me in this areas.