RE: [tools-pmc] FW: [ptp-dev] Cell IDE contribution to PTP

Thanks, Greg. This helps a lot and will approve the IPzilla when it comes by.

Cheers,
Doug.

From: tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Greg Watson
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2008 6:28 AM
To: Tools PMC mailing list
Cc: Bjorn Freeman-Benson; Parallel Tools Platform general developers
Subject: Re: [tools-pmc] FW: [ptp-dev] Cell IDE contribution to PTP

Doug,

Yes, I've been away in Germany trying to solicit support for PTP. Let me try and address some of these issues. I agree that this could appear to be one vendor trying to find an open source home, however there is actually very little in the contribution that is vendor specific. IBM already contributed the remote tools component, but it is clear that there are other parts of the Cell IDE that would be equally beneficial to the broader community. They have also provided a full time committer to maintain these contributions, and a direct result, this committer and other developers are now working to improve core parts of PTP that would otherwise not have happened. Further, in my view, this contribution is more along the lines of "PTP support for Cell" rather than a Cell specific product, and broadening the platform support is one of my highest priorities. Also, frankly, if other vendors, such as Cray or HP were willing to provide contributions of this magnitude, they would also be greatly welcomed by the community. However, to date they have shown little interest. As you know, PTP operates under a different development model from most other Eclipse projects, and anything that might stimulate commercial interest in using Eclipse for HPC would be extremely beneficial.

Regards,

Greg