RE: [tools-pmc] FW: [ptp-dev] Cell IDE contribution to PTP

Cool. I definitely agree a committer on the work is necessary to relieve the burden from the existing committers to maintain it. I'll make that point to the PTP gang too.

Cheers,
Doug.

From: tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Anthony Hunter
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 2:34 PM
To: Tools PMC mailing list
Subject: RE: [tools-pmc] FW: [ptp-dev] Cell IDE contribution to PTP

Hi Doug,

This discussion has a direct correlation with a similar contribution that was made to GEF in Ganymede: the Zest visualization toolkit.

GEF is still "mostly" run by IBM and IBM did not specifically ask for or need Zest to be put into GEF.

But there was Eclipse community support to have the Zest component moved into GEF.

So what we did was added Zest to GEF, but additionally added a GEF committer who specifically takes care of Zest (Thanks Ian). And no changes were required to make Zest work in GEF so it is an independent GEF component.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...
Anthony
--
Anthony Hunter mailto:anthonyh@xxxxxxxxxx
Software Development Manager: Eclipse Open Source Components

Inactive hide details for "Schaefer, Doug" ---07/11/2008 02:12:39 PM---Thanks Anthony,"Schaefer, Doug" ---07/11/2008 02:12:39 PM---Thanks Anthony,

"Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Bjorn Freeman-Benson <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>

07/11/2008 02:12 PM

RE: [tools-pmc] FW: [ptp-dev] Cell IDE contribution to PTP

Thanks Anthony,

I have a little more detail. It was a contribution from the IBM developers that created the Eclipse-based Cell IDE to Parallel Tools Project. I'm not sure if it was solicited or not and I think Greg has been away since I haven't heard from him. But I did hear from Beth Tibbits of the PTP project who explained that the Cell team had desires to make the tooling more generic and applicable to other community members. So I'm less concerned now.

But this is something that has come up a few times over the years and always made uncomfortable. If a contribution is targeted solely at the customers of the vendor that contributed the work, is that an appropriate contribution. On the surface, it appears that the vendor is trying to find a open source home and distribution channel for the work and chose Eclipse. They could have just as easily, if not more easily, created a SourceForge project to achieve the same results. Unless they wanted the Eclipse brand to help promote the work. And that's where I get really uncomfortable.

At any rate, if the community strongly supports it, we as the PMC should probably let it pass. I'm more worried if the community doesn't express an opinion and it just slips through.

Cheers,
Doug.

Re: [tools-pmc] FW: [ptp-dev] Cell IDE contribution to PTP

Hi Doug,

"
the Cell IDE fits into the PTP mandate", what does PTP have to say about this?

If this is a contribution request to PTP why are we asking the tools PMC for guidance?

Cheers...
Anthony
--
Anthony Hunter
mailto:anthonyh@xxxxxxxxxx
Software Development Manager: Eclipse Open Source Components
IBM Rational Software: Aurora / GMF / Modeling Tools
Phone: 613-270-4613

Inactive hide details for "Schaefer, Doug" ---07/11/2008 11:27:56 AM---Looking for guidance here. Is this an appropriate contri"Schaefer, Doug" ---07/11/2008 11:27:56 AM---Looking for guidance here. Is this an appropriate contribution to Eclipse?

"Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Bjorn Freeman-Benson <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>

07/11/2008 11:27 AM