RE: [tools-pmc] RE: [ve-dev] Contribution on VE with XML editor

Title: New Page 1

Bjorn, I think that would work great here. Clearly marking bits as incubating. That would include stuff on the download site, but I think it should also include stuff in the CVS/SVN repositories, since many downstream consumers do their own builds. This could be a simple as creating an “incubator” folder in their repository areas.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems

From: tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 11:42 AM
To: Ed Merks
Subject: Re: [tools-pmc] RE: [ve-dev] Contribution on VE with XML editor

Ed,
Yes, there's always that risk (of annoying someone - apparently I should know better than most - ha ha). But I think the intent of the Board's rules on incubation are to make sure that any downstream consumer is 100% aware of the IP risks they are taking by consuming a given framework. Thus having a strongly labeled "incubation" VE, even if it is not < 1.0, should satisfy that intent.

It would be a mistake (I think), if our rules forced a project to damage its user base by resetting the version number just because the people on the project are being reset.

- Bjorn

Ed Merks wrote:

Bjorn,

That sounds reasonable, but it sounds like it might only defer the issue
which would come back when VE releases and graduates again.   It's not
entirely clear the extent to which we could intepret the rules in a
flexible way without incuring someone's wrath.  The board might feel things
we do violate the spirit or intent of what the rules they've approved...

--
[end of message]

Back to the top