[theia-dev] Release of vscode built-ins 1.77.0 - wait for IP check tickets resolution?
  • From: Marc Dumais <marc.dumais@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 12:17:04 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=ericsson.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=ericsson.com; dkim=pass header.d=ericsson.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=Dbk9YPnUVWED80r9GPvO+eErrNK5zYJ4sVUfwOlB+5U=; b=G0XM0/6tyF68NCwq6MbQ8BHpC9l/OONG6h3jgGHkxsPRO1/WGmtnpzk3fxUWG5jpLlOHXDUlXHot02Kzqd7uBSLZaNPzLHeNdZbbQ5sGkRkxw70lk3CdEebWGMpfaMkmGfLYO4CvkqJh2LRiz02y53t/IxRqEy8kC+Sr0v+lDVpIB390T+ELWA3/Wi6S961QQ2PoDf7boRtmSloXqF99BEXTEU26ROd/cTSdwtuloziOJmLghpdiSh9RDt6YBdT3zFegeZ7KWUvTu5RK0oqU8hcAz1HrUWGGUKlSRqvY40rGFDS8Nb5qImMuqId8JdBurXQR415JDacWYltNqOEnUA==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=ipip3DrIRmqqgtKQJkeVONMOhx3IRSHviYBDcW6TnH2uYItEXvClo85kDfR4BdQ7ZHkp+c4Wb7YtsWeGuEhBlkLuFG9DOy7KZhFcQNZOHMdnTz+F3vkmFci8tBfYI895oQgjqlH51eCoGBlWDDK12ir0JA6dp42k+iqNSMRjtfhgiJwTPUpBfGvSdUTpzxDimpfyJ/OX1cDdSpGAqlehQR4TpaIuFhmHcJDUfHoaFNQbomoWZX4dVeu9tbFKXJ0iFGPqGh31skbVhP5Fr134htaKKDnyH6oce8vWOEXs/X93++wcARpcT+rZI4BpPsCFGSRvM+pLu++uiKR3ofIVmg==

Hi Theia developers,

Good news everyone!  We have completed the tests [1] for the vscode built-ins 1.77.0 and can technically publish them at will.

One matter remains: the ongoing IP check tickets. First - Mea culpa - I just registered said tickets yesterday. Most tickets were opened by dash-licenses, for 3PPs used in the vscode built-ins version 1.77.0. They have been detected by dash-licenses​ and an IP check ticket opened for each that were flagged by as requiring more attention​ [2]. I have confidence that these tickets will be approved in time, considering that these built-ins and 3PP are in wide use in vscode, vscodium and other derivatives. This makes me confident that, in the unlikely case that a bad "IP surprise" lurks, the whole eco-system will be in the same boat.

There is also the overall IP check ticket for the vscode sources, that we use to build the built-ins [3]. Normally, we like to have all related IP tickets approved before a release. Lately, the turn-around time for tickets such as [3] is several weeks. Looking at that ticket's scancode results, we can see that it was flagged for the EF IP Team involvement, based on scancode​ finding potentially license-related string matches in various "cgmanifest.json" files. Exactly the same suspicious files were flagged for the previous version of the built-ins we made: 1.72.2 [4].

All in all, I think the risk of going forward with releasing the built-ins 1.77.0 is low, and never has a set of vscode built-ins require so much effort to produce and validate (including related Theia platform work). I think it would be a shame to deprive Theia users, consumers of this monthly release or of the new community release, of this shiny new set of extensions, custom-made to go along with the newly added support for vscode extensions API 1.77.0.

In consequence, I propose we go ahead with releasing the vscode built-ins 1.77.0 and start using them. What do you think? Objections?

Thanks,
Marc, Alvaro and Vince

[1]: On both master​ and release/1.37.x​ branches
[2]: Still opened 3PP IP tickets:
[4]: IP check ticket for builtins 1.72.2: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/emo-team/iplab/-/issues/7951

Back to the top