Re: [sumo-user] Understanding SpeedDev.

No. SpeedFactor is selected randomly at vehicle creation based on speedDev and remains constant over the vehicle lifetime (unless changed via traci or type calibrator). The speedFactor distribution thus applies to the fleet as a whole.

Am Sa., 19. Dez. 2020 um 18:14 Uhr schrieb Bae, Jong In <jbae42@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Hello,

I asked this question a while ago but looking at it again, I was still confused if I'm understanding this correctly.
Let's assume the following to determine a single vehicle's speed.
Lane speed limit = 30 m/s
Speed Factor = 1.0
Speed Dev. = 0.1

First, the lane speed limit (30m/s) is multiplied by the speed factor (1.0).
And following the distribution and the speed dev (0.1), ~68% of the time, the vehicle will drive between 27m/s and 33m/s, ~95% of the time, the vehicle will drive 24m/s and 36m/s.
This determines the vehicle's desired speed.
Finally, the vehicle speed is min(maxSpeed, desired speed) where maxSpeed is defined in the .rou file.

Could you please confirm if this is the right understanding?
Thank you!

From: sumo-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <sumo-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jakob Erdmann <namdre.sumo@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 2:30 PM
To: Sumo project User discussions <sumo-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [sumo-user] Understanding SpeedDev.

With "override" I meant "set an upper bound". See the formula now added at https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/Simulation/VehicleSpeed.html#edgelane_speed_and_speedfactor

Am Do., 20. Aug. 2020 um 19:37 Uhr schrieb Bae, Jong In <jbae42@xxxxxxxxxx>:
  1. It seems like the max speed is defined as 'the maximum speed desired by driver under any circumstances' according to https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/Simulation/VehicleSpeed.html.
    Then is desired speed = maxSpeed? Also, is the desired speed calculated by the multiplier factor (from the distribution in which speed factor is the mean and speed dev is the standard deviation) * lane (or edge) speed limit?

  2. Doesn't the formula you provided (speedFactor * speedLimit) describe how 'desired speed' is calculated? If maxSpeed can be thought as the desired speed (assuming that my thoughts on #1 is correct), what does it mean that maxSpeed can override the desired speed?
    1. A follow up question is the SUMO vehicle definition says that the default value of maxSpeed is 55.55 m/s. If maxSpeed can override speedFactor * speedLimit, wouldn't the vehicle always drive at 55.55m/s?

Sorry if my questions are unclear. Please let me know if there is anything I can further clarify.
Thank you very much for your replies.