Re: [sumo-user] Merging Lanes

Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply. I used a 'zipper' node and got to a situation which I expected to get.
I will try with

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:05 PM, Jakob Erdmann <namdre.sumo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,
sumo has two distinct interpretations of what it means when the number of lanes changes from on edge to the next
1) an on-ramp type of situation where the ending lane is subordinate to the continuing lane and is only used to accelerate (the default). In this case vehicles try to leave the ending lane as soon as possible. The distance to the lane end where vehicles attempt to leave the merging lane can be configured with the lane-change model parameter lcStrategic. (see http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Definition_of_Vehicles,_Vehicle_Types,_and_Routes#Lane-Changing_Models). Note, that the models treat the case where the rightmost lane ends slightly different from the case where the leftmost lane ends but by default vehicles try to avoid staying on the ending lane.

2) a zipper type situation where both lanes are to be used until the merging point and vehicles interleave. This case is configured by setting the node where both edges meet to type 'zipper'

regards,
Jakob

Hello Michael ,

In this scenario, vehicles change the lane in a strange way. Vehicles on the lane 0 (which is going be be merged) change the lane halfway through the lane and the vehicles do not run until they reach the merging point on that road. In other words, second 50% (around) of space on that lane is unoccupied since the vehicles change the lane at the end of the first 50% (around) of the lane.

I changed the lane changing model to the older one DK2008. Then this problem was reduced to a fair level (at least vehicles on that lane waited until they pass around 75%). But it creates unnecessary congestion at the end of the other lane. Time to time 5,6 vehicles unusually wait there even though there is enough space ahead of them.

I am confused that whether it is a problem with SUMO lane changing models. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you