Re: [soa-pmc] Separate BPM and SOA.

Hi Mickael, Adrian

Interesting discussion indeed...

Mickael, you say "BPM and SOA are different things. [...] For BPM, SOA simply means that your BPM engine and tools will be able to consume services". As you can guess, I readily agree :)

Adrian, you say that "BPM and SOA should be integrated". I also am of the opinion that BPM is SOA's killer app, or to say it differently : SOA services are to be consumed (i.e. injected, aggregated, mashuped, orchestrated...) as much as possible, and there is no way more powerful and closer to business needs than BPM.

But I also think that the key point of a good integration of BPM and SOA is not technical, but rather on consistent governance and management on both sides of processes and services, which is to say on making BPM a good SOA citizen.

All of that leads me to think that the SOA TLP is about "managed & integrated service oriented architectures" rather than merely about services. Of course, I'm not partial (*) in thinking that governance (versioning, dependencies management & compatibility of service providers & consumers...) should have a bigger part in the SOA TLP, but think about it, I may be right...

Regards,
Marc
(*) http://www.slideshare.net/mdutoo/eclipse-democamp-eclipse-to-easysoa-core