Re: [platform-dev] Has the time come?

On 29.03.2021 08:24, Christoph Läubrich wrote:
I think I recently read about that's it is possible to have a "button" in a html page that links to an Oomph setup file and simply creates the IDE+checkouts and so on. I think that should be the very first thing any project that wishes to attract developers should setup.

Yes, this page has a link with such a button:

  https://www.eclipse.org/setups/installer/?url="">

I.e., like this for those who don't follow links:

The actual link URL on the button is this:

eclipse+installer:https://git.eclipse.org/c/oomph/org.eclipse.oomph.git/plain/setups/interim/PlatformSDKConfiguration.setup

Most people use the installer in a disposable way, but of course one must keep it around more permanently and register it as a link handler to make direct use of such a single-click link.  That's why I provide a generic page through which to indirect the configuration link such that the user has documentation about different ways to use the configuration link.

The embedded documentation in the Configuration itself is also included on this indirection page.  In this case that documentation has a link to the tutorial documentation that I wrote specifically for the overall platform's configuration to make it easy for anyone to get started in order contribute to any part of the platform or all parts of the platform:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Platform_SDK_Provisioning

So mostly one just needs a Project setup (I've already written ones for all the platform projects, so that's done), and a Configuration (which essentially just selects which Product Version to install and which Project Streams to provision):

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring#Automation_and_Specialization_with_Configurations

Back to the top