Re: [platform-dev] Has the time come?

Great discussions. We all want the best of Eclipse.

Some remarks to Rolf's post.

> *From an external perspective, the project seems outdated and dying. For instance, many of the website pages and wiki pages contain outdated content (e.g. https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/ next release is 4.9?), are incomplete, describe long gone processes (bug triage process?), etc.

I desperately want to fix many of these things. But even though I have been around for a couple of years. The horrifying complexity of maintaining the website is blocking me every time.

If the website was not done in this mix of PHP and HTML (which requires often several Gerrit pushes and five-minute waits to get right) but in a more modern static content like hugo/markdown. Then maintaining the website from Github would be very easy.

> * Total ignorance of the communication channels to the community. There are hardly any experts active on the Eclipse forum pages. Even straight forward questions get hardly any answer, let alone the more complex ones.
> * And even if people reach to point of submitting code: The backlog of reviews on submitted issues in Gerrit

The forum is a good example of the state of our tooling. It is totally outdated, ugly looking, and slow. The search is broken and I wonder how people find their way on it.  That I think is the major reason why the forum is ignored. The same thing for Bugzilla. Although it has great functionality, and I love it for that, no one works with it for pleasure. It is clumsy and slow. A simple search is worthless and going to the search form is a bad experience (and slow as well).

Besides this, what you are describing is a lack of resources AND a lack of good low-level-entry tooling, which are the main goals of the move.

Cheers, Wim

Back to the top