Re: [platform-debug-dev] Extensible set of debug elements

No complaints here.

jkca

                    "Darin Wright/WPG/OTI"
                    <Darin_Wright@xxxxxxx>            To:     platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                          cc:
                    platform-debug-dev-admin@e        Subject:     [platform-debug-dev] Extensible set of debug elements
                    clipse.org

                    11/21/2001 08:36 AM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-debug-dev

Currently, the debug core defines a static set of "debug elements":

* debug target
* thread
* stack frame
* variable
* value
* register group
* register
* storage

We would like any "debug adapter" developers (i.e. anyone who writes an
implementation of a debug model) to be able to define new elements if
neccessary. To allow this, I propose that we remove (or at least deprecate)
the method "IDebugElement.getElementType()". We will also remove (or
deprecate) the element type constants. This way, the possible set of debug
elements is not limited to those defined in core. Similarly, this will
allow debug events to be fired for elements that are not defined within the
core.

The impact this will have is that we have some code that does "switch"
statements based on element type - in content providers, and model
presentations, etc. - that dispatches to different functionality based on
element type. At worst, these can be re-coded to do "instanceof" checks.

Comments?

Darin