Re: [paho-dev] Python MQTT native vs. as binding

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 11:32:47AM -0500, Frank Pagliughi wrote:

> But first I would ask two questions:

These are indeed valid questions.

> (1) In a networked application is the Python client layer the real
> bottleneck?

Not the bottleneck, no, processing (in my case a.o. XML and XSLT) is
using most CPU time, but I was wondering what we could save, as
implementing a network protocol in pure Python *sounds* expensive
(I know MQTT is not the most difficult protocol in the world ;-)).

> (2) In a high performance application would you use Python for the app?

This is always a trade-off between (a.o.) development time and performance.
Especially in an agile development process (BTW, I hate buzzwords ;-))
Python is a really good choice.  And using Python for the "logic",
it is a good thing to use bindings to fast, native libraries beneath.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>
--    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Office: +31 20 6938364

Back to the top