Re: [paho-dev] Embedded MQTT C Client

Hi Sergio,

I always intended that the various levels of embedded API would be exposed and used, because in general, the easier they are to use, the more resources they take. Ideally these APIs will cater for any application. (http://modelbasedtesting.co.uk/?p=94).

I did not intend originally that there would be an MQTTClient layer in C, only C++. But our experiences with a couple of platforms showed that C++ support in some cases is not ideal, where C is the de facto standard. So the MQTTClient-C package is intended as a "copy" of the embedded MQTTClient package, a higher level API for C environments. The C++ and C versions of these APIs could and should be identical, except for the replacement of C++ classes with C structures. This would simplify the maintenance of the two APIs. (I have toyed with the idea of generating the C code from the C++ code, with a script.)

It had occurred to me to use the MQTTPacket_read() function in MQTTClient(), but it didn't quite fit, which resulted in an almost duplicated function (readPacket() in C and MQTT::Client::readPacket() in C++). If they could be rationalized into one, that might be a good thing.

By the way, we're intending to produce similar higher level embedded clients for MQTT-SN - so similar considerations apply there too.

So, yes, MQTTPacket is intended to be used in its own right where the lowest resource use is needed. Making it as helpful as we can is great. I view MQTTPacket as a toolkit, from which you can take the pieces you need, whereas MQTTClient and MQTTClient-C are more holistic APIs.

If you shared your proposed APIs here maybe that would help the discussion?

Ian