From: paho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:paho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Scott Lewis
Sent: October-04-13 2:56 PM
To: paho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [paho-dev] Paho plans

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the answers, some follow up questions below.

On 10/4/2013 11:24 AM, Andy Piper wrote:
> Hi Scott
>
> Thanks for joining the list. All good questions!
>
> From an ECF perspective I would expect that the Paho Java client would
> be a natural place to start, too. It certainly fits in with the rest
> of the foundation technologies in ECF.
>
> There is indeed a Mosquitto project proposal, which combines
> contributions from IBM's RSMB with Roger Light's mosquitto broker.
> Both of those are written in C for small embedded devices and can be
> compiled with footprints less than < 100k. I don't think there's
> currently any expectation that the new project would provide Java /
> OSGi-bundle servers.

I suppose that this is more a question for Mosquitto than for Paho...but
since Mosquitto is a project proposal I suppose I should ask it here:
If Mosquitto doesn't integrate with OSGi runtimes...or Eclipse...in any
way...would it make sense to host the project at Eclipse?

Also...I understand it's written in C...but couldn't a bundle/plugin be
created for it to expose it's API in java as a OSGi bundle(s)/plugin (e.g.
SWT)?

> There has been repeated interest in an OSGi-based open source MQTT
> server (I think both Eurotech and IBM have an interest and experience
> here, but we have no implementation as part of the Paho or any other
> M2M IWG project right now, and I think many people would welcome that
> development.

Yeah...count me interested.   I would be willing to donate some pf my
effort to doing this (as a committer) if there are others (who are
hopefully more familiar with mqtt server code) that would also be
willing to do so.

> We do have nightly builds of the Paho client in Maven -
> https://repo.eclipse.org/content/repositories/paho-snapshots/ - but
> not a p2 repo AFAIK - Al may be able to share plans for how we
> formally move the builds into a more accessible format for you.

That would be very helpful for us...because like all other EF projects
we are very used to consuming from other EF projects via p2/bundles.   I
noticed this morning from cloning the java client git repo that the
existing codebase is not a valid plugin project...which does make it
harder for us and other potential EF consumers to work with/develop to.
If you would like help with the build/releng/tooling setup please let
us/ECF know.

Scott