Re: [paho-dev] not a shared executable

How would using automake/autoconf help with cross-compiling?  I've never used them, so I don't know.  I was under the impression that they helped if you had a lot of dependencies, which these libraries don't - only gcc.

I think the problem is that are so many combinations of processors, EABIs, Linux or other Unix kernel levels, C libraries and versions (uclibc as well as glibc for example), that deciding on the targets we wanted to build for would be impossible.

If you are running an OS in the configuration you want, and you have gcc, it is easy to build - at least for Linux/Unix.  If I want to compile for Pi or whatever, I clone the source with git and make - job done.

For Windows I prefer the Microsoft compilers, as in my experience they produce better code.  And most developers will also be using Visual Studio.  A Visual Studio project is the obvious solution, no?

Recently I've been setting up Eclipse Hudson system to build and test the C clients, for Linux 64-bit (see https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/paho-c-dev-nightly/ - the test failures are because we're still setting up the SSL test environment).  I've used Ant, as that seemed to coexist with Hudson nicely.  Proliferating build methods, however, doesn't seem desirable.

Ian