[oniro-dev] MoM Oniro-core contribution 2022wk03

Hello,

please find attached the minutes of the meeting to determine the next steps to
contribute the oniro-core project code.

Best Regards
--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Oniro Program Manager | Eclipse Foundation

Proposed agenda

* Overview of the next steps
* Which code should be transferred?
* Has the licence review been done on the code to be transferred?
* Activities and effort to evaluate the code
* Other things required.
* General overview of how Yocto works:
   * What kind of third party code will we host at first?
* Oniro TLP and corresponding PMC

### Overview of the next steps

There is a ticket where the communication is happening. The standard resources are being put in place so the project team can submit the assets.

### Which code should be transferred?

* The components-sys-OTA and oniro are project code
   * oniro host metadata and code written to create the distro (yocto related).
* Linux-meta and linux are third party code
   * They are basically forks with commits applied under the original party license.
   * These patches are in the process of being upstreamed.
   * They are managed on different branches.
* Other third party components are pulled from yocto directly at build time to generate Oniro.
   * This pulled code is evaluated from the license compliance perspective as added-value from the Oniro project to their users.
* The output of the project is an installable image on the reference hardware.
* The project does not intend to distribute binaries in the short term, definitely not for Jasmine.
* We do not package the source code. That is not how yocto works.
* For convenience, the number of third party code we will host will increase.
* During 2022 we will need to decide how many images we want to distribute.

### Has the licence review been done on the code to be transferred?

* The effort is completed.
* Is it finished for met-openharmony repo? It is WIP
   * This repo will land in Oniro for patching for maintenance reasons.
   * As meta-xxx this is a Yocto recipe of project code, like Oniro is, bringing openharmony components.
      * meta-openharmony is shared with openharmony project.
      * #task add it as additional contribution to the existing project.

### Activities and effort to evaluate the code

* The existing effort done on Huawei side related with License compliance might not be enough to assure that EF can assure any guarantee on it.
   * Huawei does not want to assure any guarantee either.
* Wayne stated that he is gathering information

### Next steps

* Submit as contribution the two repos components-sys-OTA and oniro
* #task add it as additional contribution to the existing project.

### Oniro TLP and corresponding PMC

Our existing set up where the TLP has only one project is not a standard set up. The concept of PMC assumes there will be different projects. So the PMC of the TLP and the one from the project might be the same people at first.

We would like to start working with a functional PMC. An initial meeting will be scheduled with the PMC.

Description of the most relevant activities that the PMC does.

### AOB

Davide ask about Goofy and providing images for distribution. How will this look like?
* If it is part of Oniro release it has to go through the EF IP Due Diligence.
* On the way there (release) we have check points called milestones. Those are not formal releases so they will not go through the IP Due Diligence process.
* We could explore the notion of a market place so people can host their own images that are not Oniro.

Back to the top