Re: [m2e-wtp-dev] Unable to serialize scan results of very large WAR overlays

yes please do

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 4:23 AM, John Serock <johns-eclipse-news@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm using Spring Tool Suite (STS) 3.4.0, which is based on Kepler SR1. I'm also working with WAR overlays that contain thousands of files. With these large overlays, the org.eclipse.m2e.wtp.overlay.internal.modulecore.FileSystemResourceFilter$ScanResult class is producing many "Unable to serialize scan results" log messages, especially while STS / Eclipse is trying to index _javascript_ files.

The reason is that on line 298 in FileSystemResourceFilter.java (http://git.eclipse.org/c/m2e-wtp/org.eclipse.m2e.wtp.git/tree/org.eclipse.m2e.wtp.overlay/src/org/eclipse/m2e/wtp/overlay/internal/modulecore/FileSystemResourceFilter.java?h=1.0.x&id=182d4e0cd70f4d1379bd1d0a313660c8f7ae6249), an attempt is made to write a string representation of includedFiles using the ObjectOutput.writeUTF method. Unfortunately, the writeUTF method throws a UTFDataFormatException when passed a string having more than 65535 characters.

The UTFDataFormatException is caught on line 344; a message is logged and the file that was being written is closed on line 349, leaving an incomplete scan result file on the file system.

It's unlikely that I will be able to reduce the sizes of the overlays to avoid the UTFDataFormatException. Should I submit a bug report for this issue?