[m2e-wtp-dev] Unable to serialize scan results of very large WAR overlays

I'm using Spring Tool Suite (STS) 3.4.0, which is based on Kepler SR1. I'm also working with WAR overlays that contain thousands of files. With these large overlays, the org.eclipse.m2e.wtp.overlay.internal.modulecore.FileSystemResourceFilter$ScanResult class is producing many "Unable to serialize scan results" log messages, especially while STS / Eclipse is trying to index JavaScript files.

The reason is that on line 298 in FileSystemResourceFilter.java (http://git.eclipse.org/c/m2e-wtp/org.eclipse.m2e.wtp.git/tree/org.eclipse.m2e.wtp.overlay/src/org/eclipse/m2e/wtp/overlay/internal/modulecore/FileSystemResourceFilter.java?h=1.0.x&id=182d4e0cd70f4d1379bd1d0a313660c8f7ae6249), an attempt is made to write a string representation of includedFiles using the ObjectOutput.writeUTF method. Unfortunately, the writeUTF method throws a UTFDataFormatException when passed a string having more than 65535 characters.

The UTFDataFormatException is caught on line 344; a message is logged and the file that was being written is closed on line 349, leaving an incomplete scan result file on the file system.

It's unlikely that I will be able to reduce the sizes of the overlays to avoid the UTFDataFormatException. Should I submit a bug report for this issue?

Back to the top