Re: [locationtech-pmc] Upcoming release review for LocationTech Spatial4j 0.8

I'll review the language in the handbook to ensure that it is clear that a project committer needs to use the PMC mailing list to request (and receive) PMC approval.

In terms of timing, the process says that we're supposed to have that PMC approval before we start the one-week period of community review. The EMO generally waits until all of the requirements (the IP Log and PMC approval) are in hand before scheduling the review. Lately, however, we've been taking a bit more of a relaxed approach of optimistically scheduling the review and accepting PMC approval before we declare success on that review. Note that PMC approval and IP Log review/approval are separate/independent things that can be executed in parallel.

Whether or not a PMC member can approve their own requests is left to the PMC to decide. The EMO will accept a +1 from any PMC member; but tends to wait before recording the +1 for a bit to give other PMC members a chance to argue (since arguments occur rarely, we've found that the "EMO dragging its feet a bit" method is lowest impact on everybody; i.e. way easier than calling a formal vote).

FWIW, the PMC +1 requirement serves a few purposes. The EMO depends on the PMC to ensure that the project is operating in an open, transparent, and meritocratic manner as defined by the EDP's Open Source Rules of Engagement. The PMC is closer to the project than the EMO, and so is better positioned to know whether or not the release is within the bounds of the project's scope and operating in accordance with the mission and scope of the top-level project's charter. Further, the PMC, being closer to the project than the EMO, is better positioned to know if there are "shenanigans" (related to intellectual property; operating in an open, transparent, and vendor neutral manner; etc.) that the EMO needs to know about. Finally, the PMC approval requirement, makes sure that at least one committer from the project is subscribed to the PMC mailing list and able to represent the project's interests in conversations that occur on that list.

Anyway... the EMO will accept this note as a +1... first thing tomorrow morning.

Regarding "Type A or B"... we changed the IP Policy in late 2019 to remove the notion of Type B. All third party due diligence is now license certification only (what we had formally referred to as "Type A"). The field needs to be removed. I've opened a long-overdue issue to take care of this.

Wayne