Re: [jms-dev] Thoughts on JMS 3.0

And don't forget ... lots of useful work can be accomplished without being a committer. Pull Requests can accomplish many things at GitHub.

On 9/23/2019 4:31 PM, Ed Bratt wrote:

Initial contributors were included in the original project proposals, which you can find here (search for the JMS proposal). Since then, changes to committer list have been handled through the committer election process.  Wayne wrote a blog page here, which describes this process. Current JMS committer list is here.

It would be fabulous if someone could start putting a road-map for JMS together. I don't know why we'd need to wait on putting together the thoughts on this.

-- Ed

On 9/23/2019 2:48 PM, Reza Rahman wrote:
Does anyone know what the time frame for starting this work is? Who become the first committers?

Reza Rahman
Principal Program Manager
Java on Azure

On 9/15/2019 11:27 AM, Snackbox wrote:
Alexey!

On 2019-09-15, at 16:45, Alexey <onodera@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello

I agree that the ideas are great and would make a lot of existing boilerplate redundant. There’s just one piece of the puzzle that’s missing: how do you link the new listener to a JMS connection?

If you take a look at https://github.com/tomitribe/jms-proposals/blob/master/all-together/src/test/java/org/example/BuildAndNotify.java, it’s just a @MessageConsumer, so there must be a place in the code that creates the correct connection factory and attaches the consumer to the correct connection. This is something that shouldn’t be an implementation detail of a Jakarta EE application server, as I hope to see Jakarta Messaging 100% usable in lightweight applications.
Maybe the queue name should go into the config? It’s more something about the environment than the application itself. In the MessageApi, I used the name of the interface as a default, e.g. `org.example.NotificationsClient`.

Another piece of the same code that I linked to above that bothers me is the creation of the new strongly-typed client. First of all, it should probably be injected into the class instead of the connection factory.
I strongly agree!

And secondly, a lot of JMS code replies to the queue specified in the ReplyTo header, so a non-void listener method could be annotated to indicate the way its return value should be converted to the message to be sent to that queue.
I like your idea! So only if an application needs more than one reply, e.g. when sending a build-start and a build-success event, the code would have to care about the response queue.