Re: [jgit-dev] submitting jgit proposals (too) fast

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 17:14, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Mykola Nikishov <mn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> - vote 0/-1 for not-ready-to-submit (AKA WIP) own proposals, +1 otherwise;
>
> I think this in combination with [RFC] or [DRAFT] in proposals is the
> best way to do it. Your intention is conveyed.

Can we agree on a rule that any of these markers/states prevent fast submission?
If the author gives a non-positive vote on a non-trivial/non-urgent
proposal or he
marks it with [RFC] or [DRAFT] then nobody else should submit the proposal.

> Without that, we should assume things are good enough to be submitted.

That's ok if you see Gerrit mainly as a Quality Gate which should prevent
bug's to get into master. But I see Gerrit also as a place where developers
discuss and gain knowledge about JGit/EGit. Some comments from Shawn,
Robin, ... have been so helpful for learning JGit and they are the
best developer
documentation I could find. And the helpful comments are not always critical
comments on potential bugs. Sometimes just explanations how they would do
it or how to write slightly better solutions. I would hate not to get such
comments anymore just because proposals get in to fast for them.

If we let non-trivial/non-urgent proposals be in review for at least 24 working
hours (maybe Gerrit could be enhanced to show something like that) we
would be off with exactly the same number of nightly builds - just the builds
are shifted by 24 hours.

Ciao
  Chris

Back to the top