Re: [jgit-dev] API and versioning

Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I suggest we follow those. In terms of packages, I suggest we evolve them
> with the bundle version to keep things simple.

Agree.

> In terms of breaking API, since we aren't 1.0 yet, we have the freedom to
> break API and remove classes. Let's take advantage of it.

Yes.

I refuse to release a 1.0 of either project until we are able
to maintain API compatibility and not remove public APIs which
applications might be relying upon.

If that means we have to release 0.54.0 before we get to 1.0,
so be it.

That's why I was suggesting we slightly break with OSGi standard
and don't promise full compatibility between 0.7.0 and 0.8.0.
We're not stable enough to be a 1.0 release, and until we are,
we're going to be breaking external APIs as we try to nail down
what our exported public interface can be.

Otherwise we'll wind up on version 54.1.0 in under a year, and no,
we're not mature enough to call ourselves version 54.

--
Shawn.

Back to the top