Re: [jgit-dev] API and versioning

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Robin Rosenberg <robin.rosenberg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Versioning is as ugly as Yoda, but doing it properly  may have some benefits,
both for developers and users.

Until now everything has evolved very much from a practical point of view. We
add a new useful method where it seems to fit and we even drop things and
tell people to change their code. Everybody knows JGit is a fast moving target
so people are quite tolerant.

Ah, versioning is like religion :)

Eclipse has a set of well established versioning guidelines
    http://wiki.eclipse.org/Version_Numbering

I suggest we follow those. In terms of packages, I suggest we evolve them with the bundle version to keep things simple.

In terms of breaking API, since we aren't 1.0 yet, we have the freedom to break API and remove classes. Let's take advantage of it.

The Eclipse Architecture Council and the Eclipse PMC also came up with a recent deprecation policy Eclipse projects can choose to follow:
    http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/API_Central/Deprecation_Policy

I plan on adding PDE API Tools natures to JGit/EGit projects to keep me sane in regards to versioning.
    http://wiki.eclipse.org/PDE/API_Tools/User_Guide

--
Cheers,

Chris Aniszczyk