Re: [jersey-dev] Jersey P2 repository

Hi Jan,

On 2/4/2019 9:29 AM, Jan Supol wrote:
Hello Scott,

I have only a vague understanding how projects get to Eclipse Orbit. I assume there would be some legal process that needs to approve the project before it is added to Orbit. Previous version (and the the dependencies such as hk2) was added by the Eclipse Foundation, not by Jersey team.

Actually it was added by committers because they wanted to consume and/or redistribute Jersey.  Two examples that I'm aware of are ECF (for OSGi remote services) and C/C++ dev tools (they use Jersey for their docker api I believe).

They and we did have to go through a legal process at the time...mostly because Jersey was not a project under the EF umbrella.   Now that it is, I don't think the legal process involves any more than a regular release as it doesn't really make sense to move Jersey to orbit...rather other EF projects can consume from other EF projects directly without extra legal review (my understanding as project lead).

Most of the Jersey artifacts are OSGi bundles already, as well as the dependencies, but currently I do not see a wide demand from the community for a p2 repository.

All the simultaneous release projects are required to produce p2 repos so that they can be easily consumed by other SR projects. I know of at least two EF projects that are already consuming Jersey (albeit 2.22).   There may very well be others using Jersey 2.22 that I'm not aware of.   I think you can consider those projects as expressing some desire for using Jersey...and from my chair having Jersey in a p2 repository would help us/them...since our existing builds are setup to build p2 repos for the SR.

FWIW, the tycho maven plugin makes it quite easy to build a p2 repository alongside a maven-based build.  Consequently, many eclipse projects (including mine) now produce both maven-ready bundles...e.g. for deployment to maven central...alongside p2 repos that contain the same bits for the same bundles.

I've actually been playing around with adding 2.28 Jersey to our tycho-based builder for this project [1]...if you are interested once done I can provide you with the features and tycho config.

If you are interested in gauging interest further among EF projects, you might want to post a query on cross-projects-issues-dev mailing-list[2]...this is the communication channel for the simultaneous release projects.

Scott

[1] https://github.com/ECF/JaxRSProviders

Jan