Re: [jaxrs-dev] "Sandbox" branches created for 2.1.1-SNAPSHOT, 2.2-SNAPSHOT, 3-SNAPSHOT / Tagged Oracle's initial contribution

On Feb 22, 2018, at 1:33 PM, Markus KARG <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would like to ask you not to remove 2.1.1-SNAPSHOT.
I find the name confusing. If we follow the “old” days convention (as 2.1 is really old now :), we should probably use 2.1-MR since 2.1.1 doesn’t really exist. In any case, as long as people understand what it is, I’m fine with leaving it like this.

"2.1.1-SNAPSHOT" is taken from the Maven Version Syntax. It means: "This is a _branch_ working _towards_ 2.1.1". "2.1-MR"  reads like a _tag_ holding exactly the first maintenance release of 2.1 _after_ publishing it (= the static HEAD of 2.1.1-SNAPSHOT once done).

 You’re missing my point. I meant “2.1-MR” instead of “2.1.1”, not to drop SNAPSHOT, so “2.1-MR-SNAPSHOT”.

Changing the syntax also indicates "we are Eclipse Foundation now and not JCP anymore". :-)

 Sure, but 2.1 was a JCP release. Let’s keep 2.1.1-SNAPSHOT for now.

— Santiago

People are working on contributions for bug fixes. Particularly new contributors will start with non-critical bug fixes. Their work has to be collected somewhere. EE4J_8 will only adopt _critical_ fixes as you wrote. I do not like the idea to mix bug fixes with new features in 2.2-SNAPSHOT / 3-SNAPSHOT, and keeping those PRs simply open for later decision instead of immediate collecting them in a *-SNAPSHOT branch feels strange.

Having these three branches feels natural to me, and I am used that from lots of other projects. I do not see the potential for confusion, but I see it _when_ removing it.

If it's solely about the name, I am happy with renaming it to
"mkarg-bug-collection" (just kidding). ;-)

Anyways, what do other committers think?

-Markus