[jakartaee-spec-project-leads] Clarified Service Release Process

Hi Specification Project Leads,
Wanted to get the word out that we have successfully clarified the Service Release (x.y.z) process in the Jakarta EE Specification Process (JESP)and the corresponding Operations Guide.  Specifically, the following definition of a Service Release in the JESP must be adhered to:

Service Releases (x.y.z)
  • A Service Release includes only minor changes and/or clarifications over a Major or Minor Release. Specifically, a Service Release must not include any functionality changes or increase in IP scope. A Specification Team may consult with their PMC and Specification Committee to determine precisely what constitutes a minor change and/or clarification.
  • A Specification Team must have engaged in a successful Release Review for a Major or Minor Release prior to engaging in a Service Release. No Progress or Release Review is required for a Service Release.

And, the process has been clarified in the Ops Guide:

Creating a Final Service Release Specification
There is no formal release review required for a Specification service release (x.y.z) as long as the JESP definition of a “service release” is adhered to. That is, no functionality changes or increase in IP scope are permitted in a service release. Although much of the content of the Final Specification still applies, the approval process is simplified for a service release.
  1. The creation and staging of the various artifacts (Specification, API, and/or TCK) are still performed via the initial steps 1 and 2 outlined above.
  2. The creation of Specification PRs in step 5is also required.
  3. The Specification Project team should then send a note to the public Specification Committee mailing listannouncing that the PRs are ready for review.
  4. After the Specification PRs are reviewed and approved by independent specification committee members, the PRs can be merged. The Specification Project team can then release the staged artifacts to Maven Central.

Thanks again for all of the input as we wrestled with defining, clarifying, and simplifying this service release process!  I trust this will meet the needs of those Specifications that have asked about creating a service release for their respective Specification, Javadoc, and TCK.

Also, this should go without saying, but please don't abuse this simplified service release process.  We attempted to define a process that allows the easier creation of service releases.  But, we need to stick to the definition of a service release.  If you have any questions as to whether your proposed update is a service release (x.y.z) or a minor release (x.y), please reach out to the Specification Committee via their public mailing list.  Thank you!

Kevin Sutter
STSM, Jakarta EE and MicroProfile architect @ IBM
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn:

Part-time schedule: Tue, Wed, Thu (off on Mon and Fri)

Back to the top