Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [External] : Re: JPMS requirements discussion

On 6/8/21 8:19 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 11:05 AM Mark Thomas <markt@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
 > My expectation is that most API JARs will need to provide more metadata
 > than just an automatic module name in the manifest. If that is not the
 > case then the argument for all API JARs being required to provide a
 > module-info.class may not be as strong as I thought it was. That said,
 > my preference would still be to provide module-info.class files.

The biggest difference would be the ability to affect exports.

and opens, thus reflection access - many specs do require it to access/scan user-defined classes. If vendor neutrality is one of the goals, one should not be required to use --add-opens <toVendorImpl> on the command line (or equivalent in his descriptor) but to define opens xy to specName and let the spec API jar do the right thing - delegate that particular "opens" to the discovered inmplementation; IF required and unless there exists another solution..

thanks,
--lukas

 Although,
in exchange for significantly reduced visibility and added dependency management complexity. The export restrictions are insufficient to be an access control mechanism, so really more of a warning. If you have an API/impl split as is the case of spec + multi-vender then its applicability is pretty limited.