Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Updated target date for Jakarta EE 9!

My personal view of reasons for the date slippage.

  1. Global Pandemic as this has disrupted a lot of people and also occupied a large amount of people’s time and mental energy.
  2. The complexity of the dependencies in the namespace change as the web of dependencies introduces a lot of chicken and egg situations across many teams both api teams and implementation teams which introduces elapsed time gaps.
  3. Once we moved to a projected September date IMHO it was bound to slip again due to holidays in August. It would be fine for a single company driving but as we now have a large diverse team people disappear for a few weeks (as they should)
  4. A LOT of people are now involved from many organisations and independent committers. This takes a lot of coordination and introduces elapsed time gaps however it is a good thing as it makes things more resilient.

Generally from my experience this hasn’t needed a lot of head down coding work but it has needed a lot of coordination across many projects and that introduces a lot of time gaps which increase the elapsed time. A lot of this I believe is unique to the namespace change and won’t be replicated in Jakarta EE 10. For example if I want to change JCA to the new namespace I first have to wait for transactions,  etc. to change which means I have to stop what I’m doing until they make a release candidate before I can even compile. The work isn’t difficult but has many pre-requisites that need to be in place so wall clock time gaps appear. However this won’t be as acute in Jakarta EE 10 for example if transactions is making improvements in their api then that does not block JCA from also making improvements and releasing RCs. A lot of the namespace work has had a pretty serial nature.

Tbh if one company had just done it I’m sure it would’ve been a LOT quicker and could have been delivered in 6 months via traditional command and control and project management. However Jakarta EE is now a LARGE open source undertaking with a sprawling project base and a diverse set of contributors (see https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/ee4j/who) both independent and from many organisations and this is naturally and fantastically less efficient and requires a lot of collaboration and asynch working which is a great thing. I have genuinely been impressed by the diverse and collaborative nature of the delivery.

Steve