Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Updated target date for Jakarta EE 9!

Good questions, Markus!

> What are the actual main reasons why we cannot hold the originally scheduled date?
We need to remember that this isn't first time we reset the date.  When we first came out with the Jakarta EE 9 release plan (Fall 2019), we thought June 2020 was doable.  Eventually, we decided to target a Milestone 1 release in June instead and focus on a Sept 2020 date.  But, after we released the Milestone 1 deliverable and looked at the amount of work left on our plate, we knew that Sept was not achievable.  We just didn't have enough data to support a new date yet.  With the start of the Specification PRs getting completed, we now have a better understanding of the remaining work and the Nov 2020 date looks to be a lock.

> * There was more work to do than planned?

Yes and no.  We had a good idea on the work that needed to be accomplished, but the effort to finish the work was more than we expected.  The `jakarta` namespace change had more of a ripple effect than was expected.  We also scaled back on the expectation of supporting both Java SE 8 and Java SE 11 out of the block.

> * The work was more complex than expected?

No, not more complex.  Like I mentioned above, there was more of a ripple effect once we dove into the work.

> * We had less people than we thought?

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the number of new people participating in Jakarta EE 9 (vs Jakarta EE 8).  And, I would expect this trend to continue as we dive into the Jakarta EE 10 effort.  Of course, we still have a few people that are carrying more than their fair-share, but I think that will also even out over time as more developers get involved with Jakarta EE.

> * Our people were much slower than we thought?

Funny!  Not at all.  As I mentioned, we do have many new people helping out with the various deliverables.  And, yes, it takes a bit more time to get all of these new people up-to-speed.  But, that should all pay off as we move forward with new releases and these "new" people turn into the veterans and help out even more "new" people.

> Thanks for sharing some details!

One other thing that definitely came into play was the world-wide pandemic.  Many people had to adjust to working from home, with all of the many distractions.  Many people had to adjust their schedules due to family needs.  And, even pent-up vacation time came into play later in the summer (and even into the fall months).  The overall impact of this pandemic is really hard to put a value on...

These are my personal observations.  Others on the wider team are welcome to voice their opinions.  Thanks again for asking, Markus!

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect @ IBM
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn:

From:        "Markus KARG" <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "'jakartaee-platform developer discussions'" <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        09/09/2020 16:41
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Updated target date for Jakarta EE 9!
Sent by:        jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

What are the actual main reasons why we cannot hold the originally scheduled date?

* There was more work to do than planned?

* The work was more complex than expected?

* We had less people than we thought?

* Our people were much slower than we thought?

Thanks for sharing some details!

-Markus