Re: [ide-dev] A "releases/latest" URL in the IDE to ease upgrades?

> It is a search that stops after some iterations so it is not guaranteed it will find the right solution.

> And what happens in that case? It simply shows the conflict and apologizes about not being

> able to make an installation proposal? It doesn't affect current installation so nothing is broken?
> I believe it's an acceptable behavior to present to user. The error they get would be enough

> to let them take the action they prefer.

No, not acceptable. If a Neon.1 user cannot update to Neon.2 due interference of Neon+1 in the update search space, then we’ve made things worse for many users.

> Thus requires experimentation to see how it behaves in "open battle" with the whole ecosystem :)

Experimenting with this scenario would be good, but only a negative result (discovering a case where p2 doesn’t offer a correct update) would be of use. It would be good to hear a statement from the p2 team regarding the behavior in this scenario. If the statement isn’t full confidence in p2’s ability to find the correct solution in this scenario, then I don’t think we can proceed with the simple solution of adding the “latest” repository to the list of known repositories.

That doesn’t rule out alternative solutions. We currently have a single group of update sites to search for updates. We could improve p2’s chances of finding a solution by having several groups to search through instead of a single large group. For instance, Group 1 could contain Neon repo and Neon-specific repositories added by others, while Group 2 contains the “latest” simrel repository with corresponding third-party repositories. When searching for updates, p2 could try Group 2, if failed to find a solution, try Group 1, etc. This would give us a way to constrain p2’s search space, but does require the tooling to be improved first.

- Konstantin

It is a search that stops after some iterations so it is not guaranteed it will find the right solution.

And what happens in that case? It simply shows the conflict and apologizes about not being able to make an installation proposal? It doesn't affect current installation so nothing is broken?
I believe it's an acceptable behavior to present to user. The error they get would be enough to let them take the action they prefer.

Thus requires experimentation to see how it behaves in "open battle" with the whole ecosystem :)

Right, I add to my todo-list to try tricky scenarios and I'll report back. But I have big hopes about the remediation, I only had good suggestions from it so far, and never got a "broken" installation.

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top