Re: [ide-dev] A "releases/latest" URL in the IDE to ease upgrades?

We should consider that the original question contains two different parts (as is usual with almost all user queries):

1) a statement of the desired outcome, i.c. easy migration to next major release (with all 3rd party plug-ins)

2) a proposal for the technical solution, i.c. changing the current p2 update mechanism

The discussion is about the second part, and we hear various pro’s and cons.
We already have automatic error reporting, this can probably be used for a sort of crowd sourced compatibility checking for 3rd party plugins possibly in combination with Eclipse market place.

As a safe guard for any problems and economic interests I think a major upgrade should result in a new parallel installation.
When combined with automatic migration of 3rd party plugins, this is easy for the user.
Problematic plugins would be reported and removed after user consultation.

Such an install/migrate plugins solution can be integrated into Eclipse Oomph

Kind regards,

Maarten Meijer
mjmeijer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
twitter: @eclipsophy