Re: [ide-dev] A new survey

Doug,

Comments below.

On 03/11/2015 4:17 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:

It's hard not to look at this cynically, but waiting for a solution that suits you to just show up seems unrealistic. It's not as if all the preferences will be reworked by all the projects anytime soon. It's not even as if the scope of each preference is so entirely cut-in-stone either. Sometimes one needs to be pragmatic and realistic and, if a solution isn't perfect, to suggest improvements instead of flushing the baby away with the bathwater.

Doug.

On 2015-11-03, 3:05 AM, "ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Gunnar
Wagenknecht" <ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Marcel,

This has been discussed since 2004.
https://bugs.eclipse.org/79708

I certainly would be interested in such a scope. Back in the days I
thought of a "system" scope (like /etc/eclipse). But ~/.eclipse would be
a great start. Having such a scope in Equinox would help for some RCP use
cases.

Yes, adoption within the IDE is a separate topic. That's probably the
reason why the discussion is not progressing. It's too much work to
rework all the existing preferences. Oomph is a different approach but
solves the problem in the IDE for me now.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://guw.io/

Am 03.11.2015 um 06:55 schrieb Marcel Bruch