Re: [ide-dev] 10 ideas to improve Eclipse IDE usability

On 2 Jun 2014, at 14:28, Mickael Istria wrote:

On 05/28/2014 11:18 PM, Daniel Megert wrote:
> Even just showing a link on the warning pop-up to the Project/Workspace preference page to customize warning would be a very good thing.

Maybe you're using CDT? If you use JDT this is there for quite some time:

And the button on the left allows to configure how the problem is shown in the editor.
I didn't know that... That's pretty cool to understand that most good ideas we repeat now are already implemented somewhere in Eclipse.

Now the question is more, how comes that such a tool isn't known from some (most?) of us? I'm pretty sure that the "F2 to focus" is to blame. I never hit F2, it's too far away from the space bar. And moreover, I didn't expected something so cool to be hidden, so I never thought that focusing was providing so much new powers. The current "F2 to focus" message doesn't tease me enough to make me actually hit F2 and see what it's worth. That's a general criticism I'd make to Eclipse IDE (similarly to the some others UX things we already discussed there): some big powers are hidden, difficult to guess, difficult to access, forgotten. For this specific example, what would it cost to show the whole popup by default, with an option "F2 for shorter version" ? A few pixels lost on screen when hovering? It's a very low-cost for highlighting those cool informations without additional effort.

with the amount of buttons this would add to the UI by default I would say No to it.

You do realise as soon as you move your mouse in the field the buttons show up.

btw. I didn't know this feature existed either - but now I do I like it but I wouldn't want my default hover to be ugly ;)

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Back to the top