Re: [ide-dev] Survey results

Dani is correct that the survey was done because Gunnar agreed to implement the changes in EPP.

From: ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Daniel Megert
Sent: December-09-13 11:07 PM
To: Discussions about the IDE
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Survey results

Sorry to chime in late but the JDT team is currently very busy with (more) important work (Java 8) as Stephan already mentioned.

First, let me start to say that the survey rule was, that the survey needs to be backed by those who agree/want to make the changes. For this we/JDT never agreed to change the severity of all potential problems at once, but EPP offered to do this (I think). Having said that (as Stephan eloquently pointed out), it makes perfect sense to go over John's list and change some of them to 'Warning' in JDT, but others are just not OK to be changed for everyone. For those, I would also not recommend EPP to increase them, but that's up to the package owners.

Some Examples:
- 'Class overrides equals but not hashCode' makes sense for most users, hence I'd agree to enable this.
- There are many unused object allocations that are perfectly fine/desired, e.g. creating a new SWT Separator. Setting this to warning for everyone just sends the wrong message and there's currently no easy way to suppress this correct cases.
- 'Possible accidental boolean assignment e.g., if (a = b)' is a valid coding pattern. Some like it some think it is bad. Not us to judge.
- Boxing and unboxing conversions is not good to enable, because only one of them is unsafe. JDT should have separated those into two cases (see bug 163065 )
- At a first glance, missing default case probably also makes sense for most users.

As Stephan already mentioned, it's best to discuss this in detail in bug 423639, but of course EPP can move this forward if desired.

Dani