Re: [ide-dev] IDE working group [WAS: Improving Eclipse JDT - Ecosystem]

> Is ide-dev the place to look for interested parties or should this idea go more public?
And: are committers (and EclipseCon as a *developer* conference) the right place to look for members?

Whether a company (especially a big corp) joins the WG as funding member is a management decision. The message must reach the people who have authority and budget. Perhaps, the idea can be presented in the next meeting of the Board of Directors where each Strategic member has a representative.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Marcel Bruch <marcel.bruch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After we reached some consent about the "technical how" for committers, I wonder how we find potential member companies.

I've the impression that developers like the idea of a WG pretty much. But companies don't want to step up yet and be the first - purely because every other company then sits back and says "huh, there was someone who had more pain than I had". If that's the case, we should think about how we get *many* parties interested at the same time.

Is ide-dev the place to look for interested parties or should this idea go more public?
And: are committers (and EclipseCon as a *developer* conference) the right place to look for members?

There are certainly a couple of people on this list who may talk to their bosses about the IDEWG or are even able to start the initiative and join this WG. I may underestimate the outreach of the ide-dev mailing list, but I think we are still lacking interested companies and in particular their feedback on the idea of an IDEWG.

Marcel