Re: [ide-dev] Development Process was Re: Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ | Java Code Geeks

This discussion is interesting. I'm almost tempted to put it back over on eclipse-dev, but I guess I won't confuse thigns further. :D

On 2013-09-24, at 1:47 PM, Konstantin Komissarchik <konstantin.komissarchik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is making an assumption that all changes are reviewed, which doesn't
> hold universally. I know that some projects operate that way, but many only
> review contributor changes. Once a committer has earned access, they are
> allowed to merge changes without prior review.

Hmm..I'm not sure we really make a hard distinction between "contributors" and "non-contributors" I'm not even sure how you would formalize that. But it is a bit troubling to hear that some review submissions aren't actually even reviewed.

> The part-time vs full-time distinction comes into play when it comes to
> earning commit rights. Most projects use dual criteria for committers: (a)

So you're not saying "part-time" vs. "full-time" as in 40 hours of work, but as in long-term commitment? I think having a requirement that for example a committer actually be employed to do the work that they're doing would not be fair, but I don't think that's what you're suggesting.

> sufficient volume of high-quality work, and (b) consistent involvement over
> a certain span of time. The reason that you have (b) is that you cannot
> trust a committer that checks out for six months at a time to keep tabs on
> project development and be able to continue to make safe changes. Their
> contributions are still welcome, but need to be reviewed.
> My original point is that if you fund a developer to focus on say Platform
> and JDT, there shouldn't be a problem in achieving consistency of
> involvement that many projects are looking for. That gets you commit rights
> and the quicker path for merging changes.

I think all changes should be reviewed! To me, this is the big sea change that Gerrit represents. As I said in a tongue-in-cheek blog -- "That's because -- when implemented fully and correctly -- Gerrit makes it every bit as annoying for Committers to get code in as it is for Contributors." :D (http://milesparker.blogspot.ca/2013/01/adopting-gerrit.html)

But I'm glad you mentioned that, because I guess I was going on the assumption that people were used to reviewing other people's work *w/in* a project. That's how we do it at Mylyn. I wouldn't really think of merging code unless I got a +1 from at least one other committer, or it was something really trivial. (But maybe that's just based on my commit track-record. :P And as we all know, the dumbest mistakes usually involve "that one line of code with a simple error".) When people are used to reviewing other people's code as part of their day to day work effort that's a very different thing from asking someone to do a task (reviewing) that is totally divergent from the normal development process.

So personally, I think all projects should be moving to universal review. That might seem like imposing more work, but it improves code quality and often improves community as well. So I think this points to a real opportunity to for projects to look at their own processes and find ways to make them more open and democratic.

-Miles